Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Chocolaty Daring Bakers Challenge!

I was worried as I ordered a new paddle for my Kitchaid mixer and it was back ordered. I thought it would mix this recipe really well so I wanted to have it. I got it from King Arthur Flour and it is a paddle with silicone so it scrapes the bowl as you mix!!! Well, it came today so that means; The February 2009 challenge is hosted by Wendy of WMPE's blog and Dharm of Dad ~ Baker & Chef.We have chosen a Chocolate Valentino cake by Chef Wan; a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Dharm and a Vanilla Ice Cream recipe from Wendy as the challenge.
This is by far the easiest Challenge since I started. It has 3! Ingredients total
And you can make it look however you like. I have never made a flourless cake before but I have wanted to try it as I have 1 member of the family coming that has flour issues so this may be great.

As you are also supposed to make the ice cream I choose a simple vanilla and decided to make heart shaped ice cream sandwiches. I always feel after I view everyone else ideas and techniques that I should have been more creative but I tend to be fearful but be sure to check out everybody’s website for some trying yummy ideas – I bet there will be some wild ice cream flavors this month!

My ice cream recipe is super easy as it requires no preplanning.
3 eggs
1 c sugar
Beat until it is thick and creamy

Then Add
1.5 c cream
1.5 c milk
1 vanilla bean or 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix well and pour into your machine and follow directions for your machine

I love my machine as it is a compressor machine so I don’t have to worry about remembering the put the bowl in the freezer the night before. I never remember to do it so …
I first made the ice cream and put it in the freezer to harden a bit more

Then I made the cake using milk chocolate as I wanted something sweet. I was surprised as it tasted like an airy brownie. It was better a few hours later as it seemed to deepen the flavors so this is a perfect make ahead for a party cake. It was a little to rich to make into ice cream sandwiches but as I already had that in my mind I went with it anyway. I cut them using a small heart cookie cutter. I felt it didn’t really need any ice cream as it was so yummy but ohhhhhhh was it scrumptious!
The little heart was just some tempered chocolate I had left over and I piped into the heart shape and let set up.

So I give this 2 chubby thumbs up!! My new rating system needs work. But my daughter seems eager! :)
On a side note I have no clue why it looks steamy??? It isn't hot in any way shape or form but it looks steamy I don't have a better word to describe the look on the pic.

1 comment:

Mary, CookEatShare Author Support said...

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please visit for additional information or contact me at for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile.