Monday, April 27, 2009

April's daring baker Challenge


Yummy. That is the perfect description of cheesecake so I got lucky because The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge. I loved that we could do whatever we want while following the perimeters of a recipe. I despise crust on a cheesecake so I did some with and some without. For the crust I choose to use Oatmeal Cookies that I crushed by hand so they were chunkyish. I also decided to make cupcake size to make sharing easier. I have a lot of family in laws here in town so… I made the basic vanilla cheesecake and I also made some that were solid chocolate some are marble and some are half and half so you THINK it is chocolate till you dig in. They baked up gorgeous in about 23 minutes. I did a faux water bath by putting a pan of water under my pan of cupcakes. I put a pan of water in and then preheated so the water was boiling on its own by the time I needed to add the tray of cheesecake.
I love to cook cupcakes in soufflĂ© cups. It means I don’t need a cupcake pan. I still have a large amount of cupcake pans but I don’t always know how many cupcakes a recipe will make so it enables me to have some variety if I wind up with more batter then ready pans. I started with 12 ready but made 26! And because the soufflĂ© cups are so easy I just plopped some more down and off I went.


I think they look really lovely and shiny. I cracked one on purpose to make sure it was done and one I overfilled so it cracked on its own. But really that is pretty good odds. They are now chilling in the fridge and I am somewhat hostile as I wait for them to cool completely as I want one NOW. This is a lovely creamy recipe that I am hoping is well received as it was MUCH easier then my usual recipe involving whipping egg whites and many more steps. If this is well likes it will be a dessert I make next month while all are here for the family reunion. I will do a large one with blueberry filling.


Thanks for another awesome challenge all my daring baker homies. Make sure you check out the wowish and amazing new website and to check out everybody’s hard work @ http://thedaringkitchen.com/



O M G they are cold and ready to share but I felt I should try them – JUST as a courtesy mind you J THIS is the BEST cheesecake I have ever made! It is creamy and rich and mild and a platform for any flavor. Blueberry was great, marble was great, plain was perfect and layered ummm ohh I still need to try layered. My 6 yr old taste tested the pure chocolate and he seemed really pleased and kept asking when I will make this again! I think for presenting to others I will double cup to prevent run thru as I stabbed thru on the blueberry. WOW I am really surprised how much I love this, it is better than any restaurant cheesecake I have ever had!

I noticed some have mentioned it seemed ”thin” I didn’t have this problem but I left out the lemon juice and the liqueur so that may have made a difference.










1 comment:

Unknown said...

Baking in souffle cups sounds like a genius idea. Thanks for being a part of the challenge!

Jenny of JennyBakes