Saturday, December 27, 2008

Chocolate thumbprint cookies




Ohh yeah baby new flavors of Hershey's Kisses. I went to the crazy after Christmas sales and picked up mainly chocolate as there were no other great deal :(. I did however find a new flavor of kiss I had never heard of, Hot Cocoa. I am leery of new flavors because they only sell them in jumbo bags and if they are gross then I am stuck with them and out more money then I care to spend. They were all 1/2 off and I could go for that so I got Candy Cane, Hot Cocoa, Plain and Cherry Cordial creme.


I liked all of them but the cherry was my personal fav even though there was not a chunk of cherry in the middle like when you buy choco covered cherries the flavor was similar. Plain has been put away unopened till I decide how to use them. Candy Cane is a white chocolate and I was prepared not to like them but I did. I am not a huge fan of white chocolate but I liked that they had a crunch like a real candy cane. I am thinking of smashing them for ice cream or maybe some type of cookie.




Speaking of cookie........ I made Chocolate thumbprint cookies dipped in ground almonds with a kiss in the center. I also made a simple vanilla frosting but I didn't think they needed them after I did it on half, I also felt it made it less pretty.




1/2 c unsalted butter


2/3 c sugar


1 egg separated


2 Tablespoon milk


1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1 c flour


1/3 c cocoa powder (Hershey's says use Hershey's)


1/4 teaspoon salt


20 unwrapped kisses whatever flavor you like I used both cherry cordial and hot cocoa


1 cup nuts crushed


powdered sugar




Preheat oven to 350 degrees


mix butter,sugar,egg YOLK, milk and vanilla. Beat until fluffy


add flour,cocoa powder and salt. Mix well


Put cookie dough in fridge for one hour to make it easier to work with.




roll into 20 ball or use a small scoop and dip in egg WHITE that was left from the separated egg. Mix the egg white well before you dip the cookie ball in. After you dip in the egg white then dip in crushed nuts. I used almonds. stick your thumb lightly in the center and bake for 12 min until set. After you take them out of the oven they will have puffed up a little just put your thumb in again and gently press down - don't burn yourself as they are hot. After you transfer them to a cooling rack dust with powdered sugar and put a kiss in the center. Push the kiss in slightly and it will after a few minutes slightly melt. I knock the tip down just because it is prettier. Let them cool and then devour.

No comments: