Monday, September 29, 2008

Grannie's fry bread


When I was a little girl I loved winter because sometimes if I was SUPER lucky I would come home from school and my grandma would be there. Whenever grandma rosemary was at my house it smelled like bread. She made such yummy bread you could smell it before you opened the front door. She baked a lot at her house but she also smoked like a chimney so whatever she cooked at her house tasted liked ashes. That is a surprise if you don’t expect it! But when she cooked in my house it was perfection. We had a huge bowl I mean HUGE bowl that she used when raising the dough as she always made a lot but you ask what my point is? For dinner sometimes she would rip hunks of dough and fry them up with fresh jam.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh ya.


So last night I had a hankering for some fry bread and as I always bake a loaf of bread each day I just used my bread dough I already had rising. I use my bread maker to knead my dough as my arthritis makes bread making hard (yes I know I am only 33 moving on) so this is a fail proof bread machine recipe for white bread.


You can bake as is or to make fry bread;


Tear off a small piece and make a circle with the dough or make a ball and stick your finger thru the middle, it makes a rustic doughnut. The oil need to be hot about 375 degrees and deep enough the dough doesn’t touch the bottom, at least 2 inches. Drop in the oil carefully and after just a minute it will be brown on ready to turn over turn it over and in about a minute take out and put on a paper towel to drain. It isn’t super sweet as it isn’t a sweet dough but if you want sweet just sprinkle with powdered sugar or server with jam, I like strawberry preserves personally.

Completely Perfect Failsafe bread machine white bread

Ingredients
1 cup water (about 90 degrees)
3 cups white bread flour I use ap flour
1 tablespoon dry milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
Directions

Place ingredients in your bread machine according to manufacturer's instruction and bake as directed.
This recipe is from recipezarr.com and the woman who wrote it used it in the 1993 Oregon State Fair and won 1st place. I know you were thinking it would be grammas’’ recipe but this is it almost perfect replica and only makes a 1 lb loaf instead of 4 loaves and enough fry bread for 10 people!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, you woke up my memories!!!

luv 2 cook said...

I thought you would like this post sis:) I told mom I want that bread bowl!!!(she won't part with it)

Anonymous said...

Reading through your blog today I realize we have some things in common! Not only do I also love to cook, I'm only 28 and also have arthritis (Rheumatoid).

As I'm typing out this comment I'm waiting on my first ever loaf of yeast bread to come out of my two-day old bread machine! I've only ever baked quick breads- mainly pumpkin and zucchini- and so I am a bit nervous that I did everything correctly.

I love the next entry about the homemade hamburger buns from this recipe and while I may not get to them soon they're definitely on my "to try" list.

I really look forward to reading more!

(The fry bread sounds delicious too!)