Friday, November 7, 2008

chocolate cupcakes




I needed a chocolate cupcake that was light and fluffy yet would hold its shape nicely, and this is it. I really like it and the frosting is stiff enough to hold its shape for piping. I also decided to fill the cupcakes as a surprise filling so I used simple marshmallow fluff which I had never used before but I saw a few blogs that used it as a kind of ho-ho type filling and it really tastes great with this chocolate. I also liked that it used no bowls or prep as there a number of dirty dishes now filling my sink.To get such a perfect little hole I used a apple corer and it gives me nice clean edges.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup boiling water
1 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Add the cocoa to the half cup boiling water and let cool for a few minutes and add milk.
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture, mixing just until incorporated. Pour batter into prepared pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.



For cupcakes still keep the oven at 350 but bake for 25 minutes and then check for doneness, depending on your oven they may require more time.









Cooked Chocolate icing




INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder measure then sift
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons milk
DIRECTIONS
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in cocoa and vanilla. Place confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Pour in cocoa mixture. Beat well (mixture will be extremely thick). Beat in milk, a teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is achieved.
On a side note I love using large souffle cups instead of cupcake liners as they need no pan and they create a perfect work surface for decorating. As you can see in the first picture I have a perfect flat surface for fondant decorations or pretty piping or even just to lay flat for easier transporting. I will leave them flat as I need them for a picnic lunch tomorrow and don't want to worry about messing up any decorations.

No comments: