Thursday, November 20, 2008

I'm backkkkkkk

Well this has been a crazy week. My momma's new hip is doing great and she is getting more adapt at day to day stuff. The surgery was exactly one week ago and so now I am home!!!!! I missed the kids so much and they seem happy to have me home.

I have a very large family gathering happening next week so I am trying to get the renovations on the house done and the house clean and the prep work for cooking for 20 people all done before next wednesday! Wanna help? No really you can come(please)! Anyway, yesterday I plastered the walls in the hallway- we are going for a textured look- and today I need to do the final coat and then I can mark another item off the list of to do's. The hardest part about plastering the walls is my 3 yr old reallly reallllllly wants to help. That can be problematic. But you are wondering ummmmm, isn't this a FOOD blog. Yes, yes it is.

I needed something that would take care of itself on the stove yesterday and so I made 15 bean cajun soup with hammocks. I used a bag of 15 bean soup and just followed what the bag said to do, can of tomatoes, juice of a lemon and the seasoning that came with the beans. It was good and better then I expected but the star was the corn bread. It was perfect sweet cornbread. I am not a fan of cornbread but this I could NOT stop munching on. I got it from recipezarr and really only changed the fat to decrease it as there was a lot of oil and butter in it. My hubby always slathers it with butter no matter how much I use. I didn't use any extra butter but found it had plenty in it.

Sweet Cornbread

Ingredients
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon honey
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups milk
Directions
Preheat oven to 350ยบ.
In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Add the oil, honey, eggs, and milk.
Pour into a greased 8-inch square pan.
Bake for 35 minutes.

Instead of an 8 in pan I used a cast iron skillet- after the pan is hot add 3 Tablespoons butter and let melt. then pour the ready mix on top of the butter and it is delish. You can do the same thing with any dish you are using preheat it and drop the butter in, this gives it a wonderful crunch and also makes any pan nonstick.

I will have the menu for next week up tomorrow if anyone is curious.

No comments: