Thursday, October 30, 2008

sourdough bread for bread machine

Sorry for the delay on this recipe I have been busy tending to family needs. Now on to the good stuff! I have not had a lot of success when I hand knead my bread but when I let the bread machine do it - ahhhhhh. I often finish my bread in the regular oven but when I am in a hurry it is nice to just let it run and bake it as well.

When using sourdough starter you always want to use "fed"sourdough. To feed it, approximately 12 hrs before you want to use it add 1 cup flour and 3/4 c warm water and stir. You will notice as the starter is eating the fresh flour lovely big bubbles appear and you know everything is good to go. I usually feed mine before bed as I use it the next morning for pancakes or a loaf of bread.

Simple Sourdough

3/4 cup water
1 cup sourdough starter
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Directions

1Add ingredients in order giving.
2Bake on "basic" bread setting.

I prefer to use medium dark setting as it gives it a crisper crust like San Francisco Sourdough has. This is one of my favorite breads as it has a much deeper flavor then plain white. I love to toast it and put peanut butter on it, it gets all warm and drippy.

I hope you like it.

BTW my sourdough that is hand mixed is very different and still isn't coming out the way I want but once I get it perfected I shall post it then.

No comments: